Custom Search

Friday, October 29, 2010

Allergies...

I'm allergic to bees... Or at least I think I still am... Or something... I got stung 15 or so years ago and I reacted badly. VERY badly. Anaphylactic shock, 9-1-1, ambulance, IV, epinephrine, antihistamine... All sorts of unpleasant shit...
I got prescribed an Epi-pen... Basically this do-it-yourself, epinephrine injection. You punch yourself in the leg with it and it plants this very large fat needle into your thigh muscle. It tickles... REALLY!
That was (like I said) 15 or so years ago... I called up my doc and asked for a script for another Epi-pen to have around just in case I should get stung by a bee again...
Apparently, because it's been a while, she can't prescribe another one until I get stung by a bee again and have another reaction... Great.
What am I supposed to do in this situation? Hope I get stung by a bee, have a reaction to be able to say, "Hah! Told you so!" or not ever get stung by a bee EVER EVER AGAIN? Get stung by a bee and NOT have some kind of reaction? I don't even know. Whatever...

1 comment:

  1. Ask your doctor to do a prick (scratch) test, which is a painless method for medical diagnosis of allergies including bee allergies. The results are available within minutes of the test being done.
    Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete