Custom Search

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pouting...


There are just some times, despite the fact that I try to be as consistent as possible when it comes to the kids, that I feel my willpower crumble and fall to the floor into a pile of dust. They feel one way about something and I feel another. It's not to say that they don't get their way all the time. It's not to say they get their way ALL the time. We try to find a certain balance between the two. Compromises need to be made all the time. They do try, however, to do the pouting thing when they just CAN'T have whatever they want when they want it. Yes, it causes the eye roll reaction and exasperated sigh on my part, but still...
It's hard not letting them have their way all the time. Although I would LOVE to be the good guy and give them everything that they ask for and let them do everything that they want, I KNOW that in the long run, I'd be doing them a terrible disservice and turning them into the very people that I have no respect for. So I stand firm and do the best I can. It sucks being the bad guy sometimes... I hope that one day, my children will see that it wasn't that I was being the bad guy, but I was trying to make sure that they turned into the kind of people that others will look up to and want to be. In the meantime... Yeah... Sometimes it sucks.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has lived through childhood not so long ago (ok, I really haven't grown up YET, nor will I most likely), and has seen the effects of consistent parenting and what kids turn out like when they got their own way (screaming at their mother regularly, locking the parents out of the house), I was very glad for the up-bringing that I had. My folks were tough at times, and I didn't get everything I wanted, I learned to deal with it. I'm thankful for my parents and the way they raised me. If you are consistent, and do your best, they will look up to you one day. I promise this...

    ReplyDelete