Custom Search

Monday, June 2, 2014

Fears...


There is just something about fears and phobias that I find to be rather thought provoking... I'm not talking about simply being scared or having an aversion to something. I am talking about what some would consider irrational fears and borderline insane aversions... Weird ones like clowns (Coulrophobia)and carnie midgets (achondroplasiaphobia)
and snow (Chionophobia) and knees (Genuphobia) and dust bunnies (Koniophobia) and chickens (Alektorophobia) and stuff like that. Okay... Maybe the clown thing is kinda valid. They are a little creepy looking, but still... Snow and knees? How do you survive through life? I knew an over the top Obsessive Compulsive guy who used to collect phobias like it was his job.... He had fears of toothpicks, cellophane, shoestrings and oscillating fans.... Among others.....
So you get these people who are afraid of some of the weirdest things like the number 13 (Triskaidekaphobia). Seriously.... How does one get to the point where they are actually afraid of something that most would see as innocuous and no big deal. What had to have happened in early childhood or a past life that traumatizes a person enough for them to be scared of something like peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth (arachibutyrophobia) or paper (Papyrophobia). I'm not talking "I may be uncomfortable with that..." I am talking about mentally dysfunctional, screaming hysteria. How does one get to that point... Seriously... It might be that I'm putting too much thought into this (as usual) but it has always been a point of curiosity for me because a lot of the time the people suffering from these irrational phobias have no idea why they have these fears... They just do. There's no rhyme or reason to their fears. They just are... I find it to be quite fascinating. These people go through life with this debilitating thing that causes them to freak out to the point that they can't function any more....
Sorry if my curiosities lead me to places unknown, but my trains of thought usually aren't on the map. I prefer to see it as traversing the roads less traveled.

No comments:

Post a Comment