Custom Search

Friday, August 15, 2014

Shit happens.....


When shit happens, it happens. Whether you want to look at it from the "cosmic" aspect and say, "it was meant to happen" or "it happens for a reason" or whatever, or if you want to look at it from the other perspective of, a series of unrelated events that together brought about the occurrence of some unfortunate happenstance or maybe perhaps it was "karma" and you deserved it.
And the shit that happens in one's own life..... Do you stand around and whine about it in the hopes that someone else will do something about it for you or are you going to get up off your sorry ass and do something for yourself.....
It's not that I wish bad things to happen to people and when they do happen, I do kinda feel bad (unless it's TRULY stupidity related like getting arrested for drunk driving and losing your license.....). And, when shit does happen to someone, whether they're  decent enough or an absolute, miserable douchewad I think that it is those times that it's most important to step in and try to help or do SOMETHING, regardless of who it is that it's happened to. It's called 'compassion' and I believe it to be a key ingredient to what a person's character should be comprised of. I'm not saying douchewad as in murderer or rapist or puppy kicking, baby toucher. Take my dad for instance. He's a miserable, cranky, ornery, vicious old coot, but if he fell and broke his leg, I'd lean towards calling 9-1-1.
I guess sometimes in life, it's hard to dig deep and find compassion for those we hardly know or know and don't like too much. I suppose it's easy for some to be able to not care or even be downright malicious to nameless, faceless people. It shows the true natures that belie the outside personas that these people front and try to pass off as "who they really are", when the reality falls very short from the saintly, wonderful people they portray themselves to be. Living behind a facade must be difficult and I pity people like that. It's actually pathetic.
But regardless of how I may feel, it's not like I would wish shit to happen to people even though they REALLY might be deserving of it. It really doesn't matter who you are or what type of person, shit happens, merited or not. The measure of a person really comes when one is able to stand up and hold out a hand and come to the aid of those whose shit has hit the fan, regardless of the personal feelings. It's a shame that most people wouldn't understand that and would never do it and still see themselves as "good people", still willing to kick a man when he's down instead of finding an ounce of compassion and coming to their aid.
I don't hold much faith for the human race. It's rather sad to say, but it's true. The only thing I can do is surround myself with the very few like minded souls and teach my children to be truly good people in the hopes that they will seek out like minded individuals themselves to hang out with and carry on by teaching their own children what it means to be "human". Yeah, shit happens. I know what I'M going to do about it. Whether it's in my own life where I will pick myself up and continue forward or in someone else's life where I will lend a hand in any way I am capable, I will make my attempts to lead by example. Will I succeed every time? Likely not, but I will try like hell....

No comments:

Post a Comment