Custom Search

Friday, March 28, 2014

The fail...


There are just certain moments when you just know. It's not just a feeling any more. You KNOW. You had already sensed it a mile away, you can see it going bad and before it strikes, you know. Pointing it out? Futile. So the only thing you can do is stand back and watch. Sometimes when you do, you will notice that you aren't the only one. It makes me feel better when there are other people there to witness the stupid. I don't feel like half the sadistic bitch that way.
This is a story, with a moral, believe it or not. I know. Since when did MY blog posts EVER have a friggin' moral... It won't happen often, I promise, so listen up! This is a story that involved a gas station attendant, some spilled fuel, a lighter and an improper way of cleaning up a spill.
I went to the gas station to get a gallon of milk. I didn't need gas, just milk. It was probably a good thing. At the same time, a young gentleman was filling up a 5 gallon gas can for his ATV. In trying to fill up the gas can, he spilled some fuel. Not a lot, but enough that there was a puddle, so like a good boy, he went to tell the attendant that there was a puddle of fuel.
Normally, at a gas station, if there is a spill, they pour some crap on it and sweep it up. THIS particular attendant believed that "burning it away" would be a better solution since there wasn't a lot of fuel... The boy and his gas can left. Quickly. Especially after the guy came out with a lighter from the display. I was in the parking lot area of the Quik-E-Mart section of the gas station. A safe distance away, but close enough to see the fun. "Maybe that's not such a good idea!" I said.
I was shocked that I wasn't called a stupid bitch this time. He simply rolled his eyes and told me not to worry.
So he set the puddle aflame... Kind of. A puddle of fuel won't burn. It's really only the surface and the fumes emitted that are really on fire. It does tend to fizzle out though... So he decided to spread the fuel around a little... With his foot... While it was still going... Near a gas pump... An active gas pump... His shoe caught fire a little which he managed to stamp out after jumping around like a cracked out weasel for a little while, and there was a streak of fire with spots here and there... Pretty. <Sigh!> I left shortly there after. I really didn't want to stick around long enough to see how things were going to progress from there. Witnessing THAT fail was enough.
Well, so the moral here is, if I'm loitering somewhere and I'm watching someone doing something with interest with a smirk on my face, more than likely, the subject of my attention is about to do something stupid. Something that I am finding vaguely to very amusing at his/ her expense and it will be funny. There just doesn't seem to be enough laughter in the world these days, so I've learned to take my laughs where I can... Oh, and you shouldn't play with lighters near gas pumps...

No comments:

Post a Comment