Custom Search

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Irony...

Irony is defined as situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions.
The essential feature of irony  is the indirect presentation of a contradiction between an action or expression and the context in which it occurs. In the figure of speech, emphasis is placed on the opposition between the literal and intended meaning of a statement; one thing is said and its opposite implied.
There are three different types of irony: dramatic, situational, and verbal.
Dramatic Irony is the contrast between what the character knows and what his audience knows. For example, that puddle in the parking lot is not actually just a puddle. It is a large deep pothole filled with cold, muddy water. It's basically a miniature swimming pool for small dogs. Apparently everyone got the memo about it not being just a puddle. Everyone but me. At least, that's what I gathered when I was the only one walking around with a soggy left shoe that made the "squish... squish... squish..." sound as I walked and was soaking wet from the knee down. Friggin' bastards...

Situational Irony is the contrast between what was expected to happen and what actually ended up happening. Example: I SO wanted to be free from misery... Now I live with my parents...'Nuff said...

Verbal Irony is the contrast between what is said and what is meant. And, example: I am absolutely THRILLED that idiots seemed to have taken over the world and I have to deal with them while I'm out and about! It's just so FRIGGIN' special!

This  is the story of my life. Normally, I find irony to be humorous and amusing. Call it my twisted sense of humor...
"Mia, it's your twisted sense of humor..."
Yeah, thanks.
I'm just not feeling it today. Oh, wait! I think  I might be... Um... Never mind. That's just indigestion...

No comments:

Post a Comment