Custom Search

Monday, July 21, 2014

My kids and their woobies.....


Each of my kids have a woobie. My eldest son has a bunny (actually, there's 12 of them.... The one he has and all the "replacement ones" accumulated over the years) named Bumbah, my second son has a bear rug looking thing (the only one as I wasn't able to replace it without him noticing something was "different") named Bear, my third has a teddy bear (only when he sleeps) named Corillia (I have no idea. He came up with the name all by himself...) and my daughter has her floppy teddy that she made at Build a Bear (actually she has four and she determines when she needs a "clean one", which is about once a week or so) named Goggy. Now, obviously, one never knows what ends up becoming a child's woobie. They just happen to form attachments to a certain thing for whatever reason and that's it. And it becomes VERY apparent that it is the woobie the first time the things needs "a bath". The tears and screaming as you coax the child into letting go of the woobie so that you can throw it into the washing machine..... The bribes and deals you make... Good times. It is usually then that you realize there is a need for replacements so that the woobie "never needs a bath again". Well, at least for my eldest (now teen... Who STILL has his Bumbah in his bed....)
There is a kind of insecurity that the kids experienced the first time they had to let go of the woobies for washing and I felt awful about it. The three younger ones weren't as fussed about the process whereas my eldest sat by the washing machine until it was done. That first time was always the roughest though. The two middle boys don't have replacements for their woobies which was fine and my daughter may have experienced a slight anxiety for about ten minutes.
The whole point to this post is that I know my children will grow up and will leave their woobies behind.  They have been told time and time again that the woobies will always have a home with me and the kids are NEVER to throw away the woobie, (Not that I think they would). These cherished pieces of fluff and fur, loved to the point of being held together with nothing but spit, tears and good intentions have shown unerring loyalty and comfort to my children through their most formidable  years up until that point. I already have a place where they will have an honored place in my home... But only until they have children of their own and have a child or children who have woobies of their own. Then they will re-learn to appreciate their own woobies and I may return them to the kids... Maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment