Custom Search

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Help-y Helper-tons....


There is a "sickness"among people that keeps some people SO unaware of their environment that they don't even see what's going on around them. Maybe it's that they are "trying to mind their own business" or maybe it is that people in general are so insensitive or just THAT desensitized to everything. Maybe it's a case of people thinking "It's not my problem!" or "That is better suited for someone else to handle!" but won't take the steps to ensure that someone who CAN take care of the problem isn't called to the scene.
I know that I am not well suited to rescue someone out of a burning building, short of my children and the dog. I can't do the job of a bomb squad or some other specialized anything, but I'm not even talking about that. I am talking about the things that you can do on an everyday level that honestly? It wouldn't put you out more than a couple of minutes of your time or a few bucks out of your wallet.
I've helped old people load their groceries into their cars in the parking lot in the rain. I've shoveled driveways for those I KNOW wouldn't be able to do it on their own. I've bought many a meal from ANY fast food place for countless homeless people. I've stuck around during situations where things that were happening in the off chance that maybe there was something I could do. I've comforted people (strangers) who were obviously distressed and were in need of assistance. I've called for 911 or stopped on the road or highway to ask people if they needed help or whatever. All this while others simply ignored what was going on and went about their lives....
I'm not sure when the switch happened, but when did our society start to turn such a blind eye to the rest of their fellow man? People are shitty. I get that, but still... It sickens me to think that we, as a species, have become so "Meh..." about everything and everyone, that cries for help are going unheard. "But I give to charity!" or "I've donated to <insert cause here>!" Nameless, faceless individuals, other times in different countries (who hate us and would like to see us dead in some cases...)when there are literally cries for help within an earshot of where you're standing. Does this make any sense to you?
It's pretty sad because there will be those who will read this and nod their heads and say, "I know..." and there will be others who will grimace and say, "What the fuck are you talking about??!??" It says a lot about where the world is heading and it frightens me.

No comments:

Post a Comment