Custom Search

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cats and dogs...

Having been owned by both, I have to say, there is truth to this picture in many ways... Maybe it was because of the lack of intelligence of the dogs I have had in my life or just that cats truly ARE evil, but it ALWAYS happened. The cats ruled the roost and the dogs cowered.
I had a Saint Bernard, damn close to a gajillion pounds of fur, drool and muscle and he was in constant terror of the cat, a brown domestic short hair weighing in at a whopping 11lbs.
If it was the dog's, it was the cat's. If the dog thought it was his, it wasn't because it belonged to the cat. If the dog wanted it, too bad it was the cat's. His stuff was her stuff and her stuff was her stuff. Period. If the dog decided he didn't agree with that, the cat made sure she put him back in his place quickly, swiftly and severely.
The cat discovered a long time ago when the dog was just a pup, that the only sensitive spot on this massive chunk of canine was his nose. She exploited that endlessly. You would think that the dog would come to discover that he shouldn't let the cat get at his nose... Nope...
She would either bite him on his owie spot or give it a good clawed swat and it would send him cowering into another room. She tried that with me once. ONCE... The hierarchy was determined a long time ago or so I thought... Until I gave it some thought... She meowed until I woke up and got out of bed to cater to her needs. She batted my head until I gave her attention. She scratched me when she had enough. She slept on "the good pillow" on my bed.... I'm beginning to wonder who had who trained... And there was the dog, sleeping on the floor on his pile of blankets, looking up at the cat who slept, purring on a satin pillow on the bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment