Custom Search

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Multilinguism...


When I was little, I used to think it was so stupid that I had to go to Japanese school on Saturday. I missed out on all the Saturday fun because I had to go to school. Bummer.
I never actually saw the purpose of knowing other languages until I got older and making fun of people in something other than English was kinda fun or visiting Japan and busting out in French or Spanish amused me or just plain out confuse the snot out of people by mish mashing five or six different languages just because.
A woman once asked me if I dreamed in Japanese or English. It actually caught me off guard because I never really thought about it. I mean, I've had dreams where there were words spoken in Russian or German, I've had partial conversations in French or Spanish, and it's always when I'm talking to my parents that I'll rattle off in Japanese, but for the most part, my dreams were in English I guess. Weird...
I've been trying to get my kids to use the little Japanese they know around the house and they're coming along. It doesn't seem like a bad idea for them to pick up something other than English. Lucky has been making the attempt too. It's cute. He can say "Good Morning", "Good Day", "Good Evening" and "Good Night", "Thank you", "You're welcome" and "Happy New Year!". "I'm going!", "I'm back", "I'm gonna eat", "I'm done". Little by little...

No comments:

Post a Comment