Custom Search

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Medication....

We live in a society that is so quick to medicate these days. It's actually quite disturbing. What scares me even more still is the fact that people are so easily swayed into medication and they rely on the fact that there will be a medication for any kind of ailment and then rely on that medication to make them all better instead of trying to get at the root of the problem....

I've been told that I am "suffering" from so many things that I should be medicated for. A.D.D., O.C.D., insomnia, chronic migraines.... I've turned down the prescriptions and I'm not sure (other than the migraine thing) I don't necessarily see it as "suffering". I mean the short attention span and the ultra spaz-ness and the hyper sensitivity over certain things and sometimes obsessive nature and my compulsive moments and the lack of sleep all kind of shape the person that I am. If I were to take away some of these things, I kind of doubt that I would be the same person. I think that I would lose all the "me" about me. All of my quirks and charm come from these "ailments" and I just don't know if I would be able to deal with such a drastic change in the core of who I am. I quite like who I am.

There is a medication for everything now a days. There is some chemical concoction for all manner of ailments and sicknesses. And there's always something "new and improved" on the market all the time, which is really just a slight change in the original formula, which they then rename and sell at an even higher premium... But what does that really accomplish?

I get that there are times when medications will help. I am not poo poo-ing all medicines. Certain types of medications for a wide variety of things that our bodies were just not able to cope with or fight off. Certain conditions that just aren't manageable without some kind of chemical intervention. I get it. But I highly doubt that we need ALL of the different types of medicines that we have out there, especially for the things that our bodies were designed to fight off to begin with. As a species, we are designed to become stronger with every sickness we endure. By overmedicating ourselves, we are actually weakening our immune systems because our bodies don't know how to react and deal with whatever is ailing us without help from an unnatural source outside our bodies. Kind of defeats the purpose of "getting better" if you ask me.

I try to stay away from the "medications" as much as I can. Aspirins and cold remedies and antibiotics and prescription this and prescription that and over the counter crap and all that stuff, unless I really need it and I don't have a choice. It kind of freaks me out a little. I just don't like the idea of filling myself up with all that stuff to take care of the things that are ailing me. It's kind of weird that there's a chemical or whatever that goes around and "fixes" shit. I mean I imagine some epic battle between the evil <whatever is ailing me bug> and my inside fixer stuff that naturally does what it's supposed to. Then, all of a sudden some unknown something name CHEMICAL X comes in and tornadoes around Hulk smashing everything and not knowing the difference between the good guys and the bad guys and slowly killing me from the inside because I took some medication that was supposed to help me, but it kind of doesn't too and.....

I need to lay off the caffeine and get myself a cup of camomile tea.... I forgot what I was talking about. Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment