Custom Search

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Quitting.....

Here it is. I would never want to consider myself a quitter, but in this instance? I have been a smoker since my idiotic teenaged years, and although I had no problems quitting during my pregnancies, I always started up again because there was someone around who smoked.

This year, Puppy Guts and I vowed to make this the year we were going to quit. It totally HAD to be a joint effort because you can't expect one person in a relationship to quit while the other still smokes. And honestly, lip service dos nothing if you don't actually do it. It makes the quitting thing damn near impossible. And so, we did it. It was not a gradual thing. It was "rip the bandage off" abrupt. We shared the last cigarette of the last pack of cigarettes we had purchased and DONE.

It's been a couple of months now. I'm not going to lie. We still experience the cravings and all, but we have already made the decision to DO THIS and we've both stuck to our guns and we're doing it. Yes, we're using "the aids". No patches or gums, but the e-cig. Although, even the use of those things has dwindled quite a bit. I've always got a pack of regular gum on me and I guess the cravings don't happen as often. It's weird, but these days I have gone for a couple of days, before I realize that I haven't thought about smoking and have a "YAY!" moment.

I have vowed not to be the "reformed smoker". You know the ones. The ones who act all offended that you're a smoker and go off on the speech about how bad they are and quitting was the best thing ever and they get all judgmental and shit........ The "moment" has to come to people in their own time as it did for those "reformed smoker" people. Just as it did for Puppy Guts and I.

Yeah, it was an awesome decision. Yeah we're feeling pretty good about ourselves. Yeah, we feel GREAT! Yeah, we're saving a whole shit ton of money. And yeah, you know what, I think we have earned a little bit of time to publicly profess our self pride that we have been smoke free for a couple of months and we feel great about it. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment