Custom Search

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Irrational?

Does this make sense to anyone? What is this word "irrational"? I'm not talking about the DEFINITION of the word, per se. I am talking about the actual CONTENT of the word. The core. the central being of what the word might BE. Okay, to be clear, the definition of the word "irrational" is:

adjective
1.) without the faculty of reason; deprived of reason.
2.) without or deprived of normal mental clarity or sound judgment.
3.) not in accordance with reason; utterly illogical: irrational arguments.
4.) not endowed with the faculty of reason: irrational animals.

Okay.... So there it is, literally defined. But what, at its very core is "irrational"? What's the differnce between one who IS rational and one who is not. And by whose definition is rational defined? I'm not quite sure if I'm making sense here or not, but I am really trying to do my best, mostly because I find myself NOT understanding people in general and I find that their logic and reasoning to be flawed, unsound and at times, completely idiotic.

 One man's trash is another man's treasure..... Isn't rationality sort of the same thing? I'm not talking about the rationalization of islam being a religion of peace or whatever because THAT notion is just idiotic. And I'm not even talking about the people who snap and go "clock tower" or "movie theater" or "postal" or "school shooting". Again, there is no mental clarity there and no sound judgment. I guess I'm talking more about the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" scenarios.

Hindsight is always 20/20 or better. What may have seemed like a super fantastic and totally logical idea looks utterly retarded and the decisions made about said idea seemed totally rational at the time, but in looking back....... o.O I mean, who hasn't felt that way about certain things in their lives? Um.... NO one. Well, no one who isn't still experiencing denial that is.....

It kind of makes me wonder what made it seem rational and normal at the time? Right? HOW could it have even remotely seem like a good idea? HOW did this notion even begin to look sound? What the fuck was I thinking? And yet, at the time, it seemed like a perfectly good idea. I'm not even talking about the bad feelings that come with regret here. I am putting all of that aside. I am talking about the rational/ irrational debate here and how one person can interpret something as being rational, while another can see it as anything but.

Maybe perhaps it is because when we are so close to something, that it is impossible to see the full picture and so something might seem like a grand notion and it all makes sense. I don't know. But there you have it.

I go on about my life doing things in a way that makes sense to me. Some things make sense to others around me, while others do not. Have I changed some of the things I do and have I changed how I do things, how I see things, my perceptions and junk over the years? Of course. Through growth and stuff, I have found that  saying, "yeah, I guess I was wrong about that." and then actually doing something about it and fixing the mistake fixes things. Am I going to keep on, in the eyes of some people, being irrational in some of my thinking? Yeah. I'm not here to please everyone and my perceptions of a good portion of people I know or have come across is probably something they would not be able to handle hearing about themselves. And I think that my assessments of them are pretty accurate too. But as long as I am going to be the only one perceived as completely irrational, I suppose a real conversation would never be able to take place about certain of things. No matter. I will keep going about my business and do what I have to do. The changes that I need to make in my own thinking and how I go about doing things, whether rational or not to those who disagree with me, are not dependent on what is thought of me. I am looking for the results of my thoughts and actions and how they best suit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment