Custom Search

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bedtime stories....


There's something to be said for real honesty in bedtime stories. Go the FUCK to Sleep is perhaps one of my favorites. I think it's important for children to get healthy doses of reality every day and from early in their lives. I haven't read this particular story to them and I don't think I'm gonna until they're a little bit older, but the idea behind this book is genius and so very true. I LOVE the version on youtube where Samuel L. Jackson reads it. Perfect really.
I think we grew up in a time where we were placated with UN-realities and were made to feel like everything was great and everything was cool and the world was safe and happy unicorns and magical rainbows and cute fluffy bunnies. Enabled, spoiled, selfish, self-centered, arrogant, conceited, overindulged, and unrealistic about our expectations and wanting instant gratification. We went out into the world and lo and behold, we got our pee pees slapped in the dirt.
I refuse to let that be the case with MY children so I feed them doses of REAL reality to them every day. I don't feel the need to sugar coat things because I think it'd hurt them more later on if they didn't know the truth from the get go. Failure is failure and they are expected to get up and try again. Mistakes are mistakes and they are expected to correct them and make it right. Wrong is wrong and the excuses don't fly and I will see them take responsibility for what's theirs. It will serve them better in life as they grow then doing the namby pamby routine that feeds the laziness to want to go down the path to mediocrity. I know that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment