Custom Search

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

So, what makes a crappy movie a crappy movie?

Seriously, I love stupid, campy, plotless, nonsensical movies. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the hell out of the Harry Potter movies. I loved LOTR. I watched some of those other epic multi gojillion dollar budget movies too. And I enjoyed the fuck out of them. Does that make them good movies? Well, not always. Some of them were just fucking stupid as hell and totally NOT worth the time I spent watching them. Like..... Romeo Must Die and The Transporter can just fuck themselves. They can fuck themselves right to hell. I am never going to get that time back. There are others, but those are just a couple off the top of my head. I get that there are ways to determine what an "great movie" is using cinematography and lighting and makeup and special effects and all that. Sure it makes for great sequences. Especially when things start blowing up and all sorts of things are happening all over the place. It becomes an ADHD person's world of visual stimulation influx overload and their minds explode. But does that make it great? What of the story lines and plots and sub plots and writing and lines and line deliveries? Then the characters themselves. Was the part acted well enough. Was it convincing? Did you feel the emotions watching some guy play pretend on the big screen? But is that it? I mean, you have this whole set of scenes that play out over the course of a movie that eventually leads to it's conclusion and what do you come away with it? The movie could have been written, directed, performed and played out beautifully, and you feel all YAY. Fine. A great movie. Then there are others that others would dismiss as stupid, but somehow, it made you laugh pr cry or feel something or whatever. I don't think it'd be fair to discount those movies because it didn't have a gojillion dollar budget and an all star cast. Maybe it was the company that your with that makes a stupid movie a great one. Maybe because it was SO fucking stupid that it made the movie a great one. There is still no denying that you yourself have one of those "stupid movies" that you hold close to yoru heart simply because you didn't think it was all that bad, even though it was. There were still some redeeming qualities of that movie that make you say, "It really wasn't THAT bad...."

Yes, I root for the underdogs sometimes. and I will FULL ON ADMIT Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was one of my all time hands down favorite movies in the history of forever. There. I said it. Judge me if you must, but Bill and Ted's is mine. Shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment