Custom Search

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Good word/ bad word.... Eh....

I've addressed my use of colorful language, and that I do try to curb my language in front of the elderly (sometimes) and in front of children (for the most part). A good portion of the time, I am successful. It's not to say that I don't have an occasional slip up and say something that maybe, perhaps, I should have said in my inside voice instead.... With that being said, I don't know that I'd ever seriously get mad (unless it was a "fuck you" directed at me) at any of my kids for dropping a "swear word".

There are so many other things that I'm going to have to deal with that are far more serious than saying "Shit!" or something. I'm not talking about the habitual cussing where everything is "fucking this and shit piss cock ass lick cunt mother fucker", but words meant in earnest. The innocent, "Oh, shit!" when something that shouldn't have happened happens.  Or the "Damn it!" that happens if they screw something up. Who hasn't let a "bad word" fly once in a while? Why should that be the exception for children? I mean is there some kind of magical age limit when all of a sudden, the magical switched gets turned and then it becomes okay? They're just words for fuck's sake. They know that there is an inappropriate nature to certain words and stuff and that they shouldn't be dropping these words around randomly and willy nilly. But if you put a super TABOO on them, they become more alluring and stuff. If you just put it out there and explain it "matter of fact-ly" it just becomes a non-issue. If it does get dropped accidentally, a simple, "No... Let's not really use that word like that..." and it's done. I get an "Okay mommy!" and that's it. No freaking out, no tears, no drama and no problems. They'll hear something "inappropriate" but it doesn't phase them AND they know, "Okay.... That was inappropriate. I get it..."

With so many things that are out there and so many other issues that are more pressing and serious when it comes to teaching my children, seriously? "Swearing" really doesn't rank. They're just words for fuck's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment