Custom Search

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Another step....

Moving forward isn't always easy, but when it's done, it feels pretty damn good. It's always just a single step at a time and I try to tread as carefully as I can. If I do happen to make a mistake and end up having to take a step back, it's not that I'm going to stop and it's not that I'm retreating either. I will retake that step forward, but only after I have figured out how best to retake that step.

I've been cutting loose a lot of the "negatives" in my life. That includes people. Some have told me that I may be burning bridges. Is it really a bad thing though when it get rid of the negativity that is associated with and stems from that particular bridge I burn? Is it really horrible that I would much rather move forward with more things positive in my life than negative? I mean, it's not like I haven't thought long and hard about certain bridges that I've burned. I actually watched as the flames licked at the structures and felt the warmth of the growing fire and finally watching as it crashed down into a pile of rubble and ash and felt relief. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)

I don't understand why keeping such negative ties would be so important anyway. It's sort of self defeating when what you're looking for is personal growth and a better future. I've often thought back to some of those burned bridges and know that I made the right decisions and felt better for it. I look at the list still in front of me and realize that there really isn't too much good for me there either. The thing of it is, as the list gets shorter and shorter, those remaining are a little harder and harder to let go of. Not because of some sense of remorse, not because of some feeling of guilt, but because of the huge negativity that they are attached to that made such an impact in my life. Not only did they bring something detrimental into my life, but it also shaped me into who I became and ultimately into who I am now. They are the focus of everything I don't want to be. Then there's also the fear of, what happens when I am left completely untethered and floating free? It's kind of a scary thought, being free and untethered.... But I think I'm going to like it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment