Custom Search

Friday, May 13, 2011

So close now... I can TASTE it!



With the interior galley chosen and alterations made and the cover design nearly complete, it brings me a bit closer to having the "author's proof" (a single printed and bound copy of MY book for my "inspection" for my "approval" before they go full on) in my small, sweaty little hands. I've been assigned a ISBN, the Library of Congress something or another, US Copyright Registration and an author webpage... A lot of stuff has been happening all at once and the reality is starting to hit home. A feeling of accomplishment and fear, pride and a little bit of wanting to crawl into a hole, anxiety and excitement, impatience and wanting to drag my feet all at the same time. What can I say? It's a strange experience.
I thought about how I am going to feel about holding it in my hands... I thought about the things that are going to be rushing through my mind as I leaf through the pages... I thought about what I'm going to be saying to myself as I look at it... The completion of YEARS of work and seeing the product of my efforts (as feeble and pathetic as they were...). I've come to the conclusion that, I have no idea what I'm going to feel or think or say at that moment... I'm just wrapping my mind around the "almost done" thing...
My feelings are rather mixed right now. But I do know one thing... I did it. If for nothing other than to be able to say, "I DID IT!" and hold up an edition of the book I wrote, MY BOOK, and know that I accomplished something. Kinda gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that despite my "critics" and "hecklers", I had Lucky and true friends backing me through this whole topsy turvy journey with so much kindness, warmth and friendly encouragement and I did it.
The marketing department has already gotten a hold of me too... A "press release" and "email campaign" have already been drafted, sent, approved by me and waiting for the next step. Marketing strategies and all sorts of other stuff that I kinda blanked out on as the marketing director was explaining it to me... (Damn attention span!) I don't even know how to respond to the guy other than "Uh-huh!" and "Um... Okay... I guess..." Yup... The epitome of smooth, professional, polished and business like, I am... 'Cause I'm AWESOME like that...
Meh... Here's to another step! Yay ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment