Custom Search

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Last Hurrahs!

In an effort to try and give my kids some last hurrahs, we have decided that we were going to attempt a summertime snowball fight. You are now asking yourself, "What the hell is a summertime snowball fight?" Let me explain:

The kids and I watched some stupid movie. I don't even remember what it was, but we did come away with this awesome idea. A summertime snowball fight. Cut up pieces of nylon stockings, knotted, filled with flour and knotted at the other end. VOILA! "Snowball". You make about a gojillion of them, divide them up between all the players, goggle up and send them flying! They hit, POOF! Cloud of flour. Pick it up and throw it again until they're empty. Have fun. What's the problem? Just like with any other "fun" activity, it's messy.

Yes, it's messy. It's gross and oh my god, did I mention it's messy? Yeah. It's messy. But I can guarantee, it is a fun time, a great photo op when everyone is covered in flour and with a hose, everything and everyone cleans up pretty quickly, and as an added bonus, you have just created a memory with your kids that is going to last a lifetime. I mean, come on! What kid is going to forget something like that? Yet there are parents who will shy away from this sort of shit because "it makes a mess". Hello? THAT is what childhood is supposed to be. Messy with glitter and paint and clay and mud and "what the hell is this??!??" and sticky stuff and gooey things and slimy crap and stuff that may or may not wash out, and let's not forget that stuff that smells funny and that no one knows what it is. They shouldn't be afraid of any of that stuff! If you teach them to fear stuff from the get go, they live with fears all their lives. Not cool.

You don't get to "redo" things. This is VERY true with the raising of your children. Sure, there may be things that I wish I would have done differently. Maybe I shouldn't have reacted the way I did or said some of the things that I did, but the things I AM doing are FAR outweighing the things that I have done and I think that makes all the difference in the world. At least I hope I am. I'm not perfect and I am going to make mistakes. I admit that to my kids. I think that it's important for all parents to admit to their kids when they are wrong. It says, "No one is perfect, but it is important that we are able to admit that and take the steps to correct our mistakes." But this childhood stuff is very fleeting and goes by in an instant. And there's SO much stuff you have to fit in into that brief moment. Why should it be of apprehension of new things, being creative, getting messy and trying something? It shouldn't. These are things we should be nurturing in our children.

It's not the most easy task, but it is the most rewarding when I actually see the results of my handiwork. When my children are the ones going out and doing. When my children are the ones who are pioneering the path and they are the first ones in line. When my children are the ones who are showing the rest of the world that they can, and even if they fall, they are the ones who get right back up and try again. As it ought to be. We're ready to take on another round of messy fun that'll probably make a huge mess, but will leave lasting and positive impressions in their lives. KEWL. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment