Custom Search

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A fine example of "Holiday Spirit" !



So, I went to the local Target, which was a big mistake in and of itself, considering the time of year. At that time, I witnessed a great "holiday spirit" moment.
I took the two middle children to the store to pick out a little something for bringing home AWESOME report cards. Maneuvering through the toy aisles was difficult, but we got to where we needed to be. Picking out their toys, I saw that there were a few kids looking through the selection of toys right along side mine. Being the ever vigilant "Mama Duck" and seeing that there wasn't an adult to claim them, they temporarily became "mine". Not a problem. All was going well. Mine were talking to them, they were talking to mine. "This one is better because this", "this one is awesome because that..."  "Nice choice!" "Thanks!"  They were all getting along and helping each other pick out stuff. It was cute.
Enter the epitome of "Holiday Spirit"! I rather large woman pushing around a full cart with toys for (what I am assuming) her spawns for Christmas. That's not what made it bad... So "mine" were still hemming and hawing over what to pick. Epitome of Holiday Spirit, (or E of HS) started huffing and sighing and rolling her eyes while repeatedly looking at her watch, while standing behind the lot of children. Then she started verbally expressing her dismay using language I found to be... Less than appropriate. I glanced over at her, cocked an eyebrow and shook my head. She quieted down for a moment.
The other children's dad came over to where we all were and asked his children if they had picked out what they wanted. Two of them (I'm guessing at about aged 12 and 6) looked like they had decided, were happy with their choices and went over to where he was. The last was still deciding between the two items he held in his tiny little hands. I guessed him to be about four or five. E of HS pushed this little boy out of the way to get to what she wanted. I'm not saying she said "Excuse me..." and moved him a little. She pushed him. Like, "Thankfully I was standing there to kind of catch him or I think this child would have taken a nasty digger to the floor" pushed him.
"Are you out of your MIND?" came out of my mouth as I got the kid's feet back under him and reoriented him, to which she responded, "What? He's fine!" and went about her business. The father was a lot more composed than I, quietly thanked me, checked over his startled boy and asked him if he was okay.  He then asked the woman for an apology. He never got it. She gave the man a look of disgust and disbelief, rolled her eyes and went back about her business. He "quietly" explained to his children that her behavior was rude, uncalled for and absolutely disgusting. The children nodded, gave her a glance and nodded again. With his children in tow, the dad took his three boys, the youngest with both of his picks, each one still grasped tightly in each of his little hands and left. (Had to give the little guy props. Despite being launched by a cow, HE HELD ONTO THE TOYS!)
E of HS was unmoved and unaffected and kept yanking stuff off of the pegboard, tossing stuff that she wanted into her cart, and tossing the stuff she didn't onto the shelf below or onto the floor. I sighed and shook my head again. With my own children in tow, them with their picks, I left E of HS to her business. I needed to be away from her because something bad would have happened. I didn't think I was going to be able to keep my mouth shut for too much longer. I know at the very least "fat cow" was right at the tip of my tongue. Then I'm sure the barrage of not-too-nice things would have followed.
I suppose it was easier for me to walk away this time because it wasn't MY kid she manhandled. It still didn't sit well with me and I still wanted to call her a fat cow, but I was still able to walk away before she decided to stampede (bullfighting in the toy aisle of a crowded store is never a good idea) and the situation reached critical mass. Besides, my children were there with me. She had NO concern for the safety of the child she tossed, why would mine be any different. I was NOT going to risk my kids' safety just to be able to get a little bit of personal satisfaction. Now, had it been one of MINE that she decided was in her way, the situation would have been a bit different. I would have gone Super Saiyan on her ass... Bad... I guess I should be thankful for small favors...
Hurray for the holidays! Hurray for holiday spirit! Hurray for the warm, fuzzy feeling on the inside! Oh, wait, that's indigestion.... I need an antacid.

No comments:

Post a Comment