Custom Search

Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Are you ALWAYS this stupid or is today just special..."

Seriously. I just want to know...
You've had the moment where you were talking to someone and three seconds into the conversation, you make the awful discovery that they are about as intelligent as glue, right? Then, if THAT wasn't bad enough, they say something so far beyond intellectually deficient, your involuntary physical reaction is the head tilt... Yeah... Yeah, you have.
So, in a situation like this, is it appropriate to ask, "Are you ALWAYS this stupid or is today just special..." The answer? Apparently not.
Okay. Here's what happened. My daughter and I were out at the supermarket. Nothing unusual, right? I had a woman walk up to me and tell me that my daughter was beautiful. Nothing weird. It happens from time to time. She asked if she was half Asian, and I told her that she was. She then asked, "So you're....?"
I told her, "Japanese..." There was a pause. And THEN she came back with, "All the time?"
How was I supposed to respond to that... Seriously? I came back with the involuntary head tilt... I gave her a few moments to back pedal and correct herself, but it was not happening... Now, I would have given her a little slack if she was a foreigner and the English was only so-so. But this was not the case. So, out came, "Are you ALWAYS this stupid or is today just special..." I even said it with a pleasant smile. It didn't go over too well... Just figured I'd let you all know... 


No comments:

Post a Comment