Custom Search

Friday, May 11, 2012

A Proud Parent Moment....

We could all learn so much from children:
My four year old, having gotten some Target gift cards for her birthday, decided she wanted to get a friend for her dollie, Daisy (A.K.A. Dell from the USA). So the three of us went to the store and Abby and Daisy stood in front of the other Hearts for Hearts Girls dolls as Abby tried to decide who to "bring home" while I watched.

A woman (trying to be helpful, I really don't think she meant it to be mean) suggested to Abby that she pick Tipi from Laos or Lilian from Belarus.

Typical Abby, she asked the woman, "Why?"

The woman says, "Well, this one is oriental (yes, I know..... And no, I didn't punch her out.....) like you, but the other dollie is white like your other dollie there."

So Abby replies, "White?"

The woman tried (she seemed rather flustered when I "took interest" in the convo and gave her the "are you serious?" look....) to explain. "Well, not colored like the other ones...."

I damn neared choked on my gum as I slapped my forehead thinking of the conversation I'm going to have to have with my daughter to fix this, but gosh darn it if Abby didn't fix it herself... Quick on the draw, she looked at the woman and said, "They're not colored, just different. They're dollies, like toy people, silly!" and picked Nahji from India to be Daisy's new friend. "Isn't she beautiful like Daisy, mama?"

"Yes, baby, she is...."

Go figure.... I skipped off with my daughter and her dollies and left this woman dumbfounded in the aisle.

It's refreshing to see the colorblind and innocent view from a child's eyes. Mini Doom did her mama proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment