Custom Search

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Huh?



There are times when I sort of listen in on conversations simply because there's nothing else to do. Sometimes, the conversations are about politics where I may agree with something someone said or they start some idiot's rant about how our president is doing a great job with his hope-y, change-y shit. Sometimes the conversations have to do with a movie or a tv show... Stuff about things in the tabloids, something in the newspapers (sometimes, it's the same difference really... Just sayin'...). It could be about anything, but regardless of what it is, CONTEXT is kind of important.
Sitting down in a dentist's office waiting room, a woman was on her cell. There really was no avoiding hearing the conversation. She was loud and right there. Great...
So her end of the conversation was something like this...
"So if you put it in and leave it there, it won't work.  If you put it in and just move it around, sometimes it works. If that doesn't work, take it out and put it in again. Just keep doing that until something different happens... You'll see what I mean!"
I guess I was looking at her all weird and she said to me, "Oh, I'm talking to my son..." 
I raised up my hands in the universal, "I don't want to know, I don't need to know..." gesture and went to see about how much longer my daughter and I were going to have to wait in the waiting room.
"Well, I'm sorry your girlfriend is getting bored... Are you doing what I'm telling you?"
I wanted to do the "plug my ears and LA-LA-LA!", at this point...
"Well, what do you mean it 'feels funny'? Get your brother to help you out with it! He knows what he's doing! He's done it hundreds of times! Or better yet, let him do it. You can watch and you'll know how to do it next time..."
I wanted to climb up a wall or just go running out of there with my daughter in tow and just never go back.
"Well, do you feel it? ...It should go in... Where are you trying to put it? ...Well, try the other one!"
I'm singing songs with my daughter at this point. Loudly AND badly... It was wrong. American Idol's worst were even offended, but it was all I could do...
I went in for the appointment before I had to hear any more. Thank GOD! I'm going to tell myself that it was something like a tv plug or a cable wire or something and KEEP telling myself that it was something benign like that... The alternative is just too disturbing...

No comments:

Post a Comment