Custom Search

Monday, July 23, 2012

Sounds....

For some people, the sound of nails on a chalk board is intolerable. For others, it might be the sound of crying babies, yet for still others, the sound of a fork  scraping on a plate. It's weird how different sounds will affect different people. I don't know if it's the frequency or the tonal quality or what the deal is, but there are certain sounds that will affect different people in different ways.

It's funny how people's minds will process stimuli. Sight, smell, sound, touch, taste... And depending on who you're talking to, some will find certain things to be pleasant while others will find those same things to be intolerable. Strange.

Sounds are a weird one. I first really started thinking about it when I was in the hospital after having had my first son. They carted him away in his little bassinet after a spent some quality bonding time with the little guy. I didn't think it was possible, but I knew his smell, I knew his cry, I knew his feel.... And I didn't even know it at first. Lo and behold, after some time later (and the most awesome shower in the world EVER), I hear the sound of bassinets being wheeled back into rooms. I heard my son crying and identified the one crying as mine right away. What do you know... I was right. He was hungry. (Surprise....)

At first I thought it was some weird coincidence, but I came to find it really wasn't a coincidence thing. Out of a roomful of babies at a party during an attempt at a synchronized nap, I knew which cry was his. Being at a friends house we each knew which one of our babies was crying, even from another part of the house. How weird....

I tried to think of other things related to sounds that seem to affect people.... The "four chord song" phenomena is something that I come back to a lot. I mean music affects us all in a different way. Certain genres of music are awesome to some people, while those same genres might be considered crap by others. The tonal quality of peoples' voices. Isn't it funny how one person could find someone's voice to be grating and annoying, but someone else finds their voice soothing and angelic? How about certain noises like sirens and stuff? It all affects different people in different ways, ya know?

Just another random thought that I thought I'd share.....

No comments:

Post a Comment