Custom Search

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

He's an OLD dog...


Otis turned 18 years old this year. With that being said, the fact becomes blatantly clear. Otis is OLD. He's somewhat blind, he's arthritic, he's as deaf as a stump, as smart as a bag of rocks, he smells funny, he's missing a bunch of teeth and his breath could knock a buzzard off a rotting carcass. But he's ours. He's been a constant companion since I brought him home and his affections were unerring, his loyalties pretty firm. He knows where "home" is.
I know that there will come a day when I'll have to let my old friend go. I mean, for the time being, he's still spry, he's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and as long as I keep him on meds, he's quite pain free. Other than the fact that stairs pose quite a challenge for him, as long as he has a blankie on the floor for him to vege out on, he's quite happy and for his advanced age, quite healthy. But I know that the day will come sooner rather than later. Even for an old dog, he's OLD by every standard.
Although my mind tells me what the realities are, my heart wants him to live forever. Then I look upon my children interacting with "their dog". They don't know life without him and for the younger ones especially, it's difficult to explain why he won't be around forever... And my heart breaks.
Otis has probably heard more of my kids' secrets, dreams, desires, sorrows and happy moments than any other living person or beast. It may have been that he wasn't really listening while the kids rambled on while they pet him and whispered things in his ear or maybe he was. I don't know. But the fact of the matter is, he will never betray those trusts that were given to him and the children know that. I pray that it will be a memory of Otis that my children will grow up with when they think upon Otis even many years from now.
I know he can't hear me now when I tell him I love him or when I thank him for being "Otis". I know he doesn't see me well enough to make out the words coming out of my mouth either. I can only hope that he feels loved and appreciated for being everything that he is to me and to my kids. For the time being, I watch my dog sleep, snoring away, snuggled in his "blanket nest" on the floor by my bed, perfectly content.
So, sleep well old man. I love you!  I hope you know that... Thank you for being the best Otis you can be. You have proven many times over that you are a very important part of our family. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment